Visiting the dentist is essential to have healthy teeth. You can save hundreds or thousands of dollars by buying the best dental insurance plan. According to the American Dental Association, adults without dental insurance are estimated to pay around $492 or $785 annually. Average prices rise with age, starting at $492 for patients between 19- to 34-year-old, then $598 for patients between 35- to 49-year-old, and finally to $785 for patients who are between 50 to 64 years old.
The longer time you will take to see a dentist, the worse the repercussions get. Regular dental visits can help avoid plaque development, cavities, and the late identification of oral cancer. According to the American Dental Association, money is still the most significant barrier to receiving dental care. This has been increasingly visible in recent times. Between the years 2013 and 2016, 15.2 percent of Americans who required dental treatment did not receive it due to cost, shortage of coverage for their operations, and other financial barriers. Fortunately, there are a variety of affordable dental insurance options to select from. We have prepared a list of the best-rated dental insurance companies to make your search simpler.
- Dental insurance is almost equivalent to health insurance, but with lower monthly rates and deductibles ranging from $50 to $100.
- Dental plans usually follow a cost-sharing model of 100-80-50, with 100% coverage for diagnostic and preventive treatments, 80% coverage for standard dental services like fillings, and 50% coverage for significant operations and surgeries.
- Cigna, Humana, Delta Dental, UnitedHealthcare, and Renaissance are the top-rated five dental insurance companies in the United States, according to our survey.
- Monthly premiums, yearly deductible, coinsurance and copayments, services and benefits covered, waiting time and other limits, and the scope of the geographic size of the provider networks of the company are all considered in this compilation.
Dental Insurance Types
The most common dental insurance is listed below:
- DPPO: DPPO stands for Dental Preferred Provider Organization. This kind of insurance includes the dentist network who has agreed to offer services at a set price. When you are using any contracted dentist then these discounts are beneficial.
- DHMO: DHMO stands for Dental Health Maintenance Organization. A monthly charge is paid to a dentists’ network for the care of the patient. They offer services at a discounted cost to the patient in return. An HMO usually required you to be in the network.
- DPOS: DPOS stands for Dental Point of Service. Patients can contact dentists even if they are not in the network. However, it is beneficial to be in the network of the insurer which results in saving money.
5 best rated dental insurance companies
UnitedHealthcare, based in Minnesota, is one of the top-rated insurance companies. Its UnitedHealthOne company network connects patients with dentists around the country. Preventive care is commonly covered by UnitedHealthcare dental insurance with no waiting periods or deductibles. The dental plans offered by the organization have no upper age limit.
- On the website of the company, it is simple to obtain quotations.
- UnitedHealthOne has a large provider network.
- On plans with modest monthly rates, there is no coverage for key services.
- Major operations and orthodontic treatments have limited coverage choices.
Cigna is one of the nation’s largest medical insurance companies. It has a large number of dental customers that is more than 17 million. The company is based in Connecticut. It has a countrywide provider network of 93,000 dentists in 297,000 locations, with plans ranging at $19 which is a monthly average.
Basic waiting periods for standard services are six months, and orthodontic and significant services are twelve months. The most comprehensive plan of Cigna is Cigna Dental 1500. This plan is the only one that covers orthodontia and braces.
- There is no need to see the main dentist.
- For specialist visits, no referrals are required.
- Orthodontia and restorative services are available within the waiting period of 12-months which may vary depending on the state.
- Limited number of plan choices
Delta Dental is a dental insurance company and has 39 other independent companies. This company is a leading dental insurer in the US. It provides complete dental coverage in all 50 states including Puerto Rico. Over 150,000 dentists across the country are part of the company’s network, which serves over 80 million people. Plans like PPO and HMO are offered by Delta Dental with other additional discount options.
- Over 150,000 providers are part of the extensive network.
- There are several discount plans which are available to customers. They can select from a list of participating dentists who provide reduced rates.
- Benefit caps are low as most of the plans are capping at $1,000.
- Orthodontic care has limited coverage and requires cost-sharing.
Humana Inc., established in Kentucky, is a shining star in the market of American health insurance. It has over 20 million members and has around 8% of the market share. It has over 260,000 dentists from all over the United States in its network. It offers a wide selection of dental coverage. For any budget, the value plans offered by Humana are DHMO and PPO.
- 260,000 dentists are part of the company’s extensive network
- Provides a variety of plans, including veteran-specific plans
- Maximum benefits are limited.
- Major services have limited coverage
Renaissance Life and Health Insurance Company of America is based in Indiana. It insures over 13 million people across the United States. Its network connects you to 300,000 dentists. Renaissance Dental Insurance has a good number of plans to choose from. It offers a Healthy Savings Card that is accepted at more than 175,000 locations. Last year, the company boasted excellent customer service by answering 99 per cent of calls on the first point of contact.
- There are no wait times for diagnostic and preventive services.
- Some of the plans exist without any network.
- Benefit maximums are low around $1,000 annually